Monday, March 29, 2021

Stuck!

Satellite image Maxar technologies

You ought to write a book.

If I had a nickel for everyone who told me that, I might have enough to buy a newspaper. But newspapers are online, and I am lazy, so for the last 6 years, I haven't even managed to get a blog post published. 

For 25 years, I wrote Christmas letters, until I realized "my" Christmas letters consisted mostly of stories about other people I loved, and most of those people were all old enough to write their own letters. The paragraph about me started, "Not much has changed this year."

In 2012, a lot changed, but there was no time to write. I was scrambling to pack for a trip around the world, working overtime to make things easier for the temp who would step in, gathering my family for the holidays, getting things in order for my again dad, and dealing with a last-minute cancer scare. I took a few Christmas cards with me and mailed them in Hawaii with the last stamps I had. Other years, I started a letter but never finished. 

I started this blog to keep in touch while I was traveling, and I posted over a hundred entries by email from the ship. That flood stopped abruptly when I got home, and it's been nearly seven years since I posted anything. 

Sometimes, there's nothing to say, and sometimes there's so much I don't know where to begin. I was stuck. Thoroughly stuck. Stuck like the Ever Given. Tugging here, pushing there: but still stuck.  

Twitter cartoon inspired by the Ever Given.


There's a massive back-up of ships waiting at each end of the canal, and another whole bunch detouring around the Cape of Good Hope. I have a massive back-up of half-written posts and whispered ideas. Will the full moon and the rising tide float my little boat, too? Stay tuned.






2 comments:

  1. I recently sent a friend a Christmas card addressed 3 years ago. Inside I described myself as "a procrastinator" or "hating myself for ever" because I just never get around to doing something. I think it's very positive that each side of your bank is "procrastinator." That's in itself indicates you may get unstuck. I look forward to reading you when you are ready!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Renee! I have a hopeful little pile of Christmas cards (I always bought them on sale after the holidays), waiting for me to test the "it's never too late" theory. Don't hate yourself--that should be reserved for the people who send cards with just their signature. You get your hopes up for a little update, and then you find a bland "Happy Holidays!" even though the card itself has a Christmas tree, Santa and a Nativity scene on the front.

    ReplyDelete